Thursday, March 26, 2020

Adam is Seven!

Adam was a very calm dude about taking the news that his birthday party at the bounce house place had to be rescheduled until after quarantine, but I also wanted to make sure he had a nice birthday. However, I'd also sort of let time get away from me, so the night before his birthday realized that usually, the week before or so I go to Target and pick up the last minute gifts from his list, this year I only had whatever I'd bought in previous months and stashed in the garage. So, he got some new sheets for his bed (featuring cheese burgers), a game, and a book of knock knock jokes. The good news is that both kids are really into this online game where you battle other people using math, and so we bought them both a six month membership so they can go on more quests and get more swag. THE DAY IS SAVED BY NERD THINGS!

He got a lot of nice birthday messages and video calls, and we did have cake and pizza and a dance party, even if it wasn't with a house full of people like we usually have. He said it was a great one, and for that I'm grateful.



He is such a funny, lovable little dude.

School stuff continues to plug along as we start to get into a rhythm. There's meltdowns and frustrations and hiccups in the technology, but we're getting the work in. After lunch, before we go back to work they like to have me come out on the trampoline and double bounce them and today Adam told me that home schooling is the best, and Ellie told me that I was the nicest mom, which I needed to hear. It's tough for all of us! Especially since it now looks like they won't go back until May at the earliest. Today was also especially fun on the trampoline because some of our friends from school were on a walk through the neighborhood so we got to say a hello.

Ellie got to have a Zoom meeting with her teacher this morning and was in much better spirits afterwards. We all need to see familiar faces! They all wore hats, and Taco got confused and wondered if it was a cat convention.


Adam's teacher had a meeting earlier this week and it was very cute because they all just got a chance to talk about what they've been up to and say hello, and they were so delighted to see one another. I think sometimes it's easy to underestimate little kid friendships (especially when a lot of times my kids will tell me they met a new friend, but then admit they don't know the name of said friend) but they do need each other's company, just as much as I need to have cocktails on Zoom with my friends after the kids are in bed.

We're continuing to get outside for a long walk in the afternoons, or doing some playing outside. These are Ellie's messages for the neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment