Sunday, August 19, 2018

Prime Numbers.

If I have been remiss in updating this blog, it's because I am now very elderly and received a grave shock, and haven't quite recovered.

So this past Monday I turned 37. Saturday before, I went out with a couple of girlfriends to hang out for the day, to celebrate that three of the five of us are summer babies. We had pedicures, lunch and cocktails, and Sara Jo drove me back to my house, where I expected we'd hang out with our kids and husbands and order pizza and drink a few more beers. But then I opened the door of my house and the three other ladies were there with their families, as were a bunch of my LA-based girlfriends and their spouses, and Jake was holding a tablet with Becca skyped in, and everyone was yelling SURPRISE. I have never been more surprised, shocked or pleased in all of my life! I've always wanted a surprise party but figured it wasn't in Tim's wheelhouse! Boy was I happy to be proven wrong! He'd organized the whole thing, had it catered by the local Mexican place we love and gotten Jake to come over and babysit all day so that he could run to Costco and pick up cake and beer (that's right, Costco cake, my truest love language.)

IT WAS AMAZING. We had a really fun, relaxed night - the kids all scattered to play in the house and the adults sat out back and gorged ourselves on tacos and enchiladas and chips and guac. It was so, so fun. I went to bed smiling like the Chesire cat, feeling so very loved.

And then the next day, we had some time to fart around in the morning and then it was time to pick up Becca and Hazel at the airport for additional SURPRISE time! So I got to spend my birthday with my best friend, and Ellie's new best friend.



And while Becca was here, we even managed a drive up to Woodland Hills to see Lauren and baby Piper, who is roughly a month younger than Hazel Bazel. Ellie was in total heaven, having two babies to shoosh and kiss and love upon.


PLUS I got to have my usual fun birthday dinner with my folks - the kids helped Auntie Sara make a dirt cake, many delicious gummy worms, and we had dinner with the Fords as well during the week, so I am well and truly spoiled rotten. And still surprised about it all.


Bonus picture of Adam wearing a wig, at birthday lunch with the ladies. I feel like if you put a squash blossom on him, he could be your zany anthropology professor.

What else? The Friday before, Blizzard rented out the Long Beach Aquarium for their summer party, so we got to go and see a bunch of fish and pet a bunch of sharks. They also fed the otters while we were there and threw in a bunch of toys for them, so that was really adorable to see.


The kids go back to school a week from tomorrow, and we find out their teachers on Thursday night. The last couple weeks have been very fun and relaxed - it was lovely having such cute houseguests for a few days, and the week before the kids were in YMCA art camp in the afternoons and made all sorts of good arts and also crafts. This coming week they are going back to school shopping for first day outfits with Mimi, and we need to get everyone's hair cut and school supplies purchased. HERE I COME, TARGET! We went out to brunch today with some friends and there was a Nordstrom Rack nearby, so we went over and got new shoes for everyone - Adam's tennies were beat to death at the beginning of the summer, but since he's only needed them to have closed toed shoes at the Y, I didn't want to replace them until the last minute. Ellie got some new slip on shoes, as I discovered her kerplotchies are almost a size too small, and we stopped at Boot Barn to upgrade her the next size in cowgirl boots. She's not even eight years old yet, and is in the last size of children's shoe sizes, yikes.

Meanwhile, at brunch today Adam was doing a word search, and pointed to LE and goes "that spells Lee." I pointed out the letters C-O-P to him and he said cop. Also figured out Run and Go. MY BABY CAN READ! (a little bit.) Makes me feel better about kindergarten upcoming, because it's not like I've been making them do summer homework (though we read to them every night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment