Thursday, October 6, 2011

Quiet Week.

Nothing too exciting happening around these parts - we're keeping busy though. On Tuesday no one else showed up for swim class so Ellie got a private lesson. Mr. Shane worked her like a little field mule! We actually end up at the other end of the pool where there's a long step, and after every back float or bit of work, she'd have to walk along the step to get to me, and then I'd scoop her up, kiss on her, and hand her back for some more floating and splashing. She took a pretty fat nap after that one.

Wednesday it was raining so the Angels didn't garden, they just spent the afternoon knitting. Mom and I actually brought lunch provisions and we had a makeshift picnic in Jan's warm, homey kitchen. Ellie is so lucky to have a group of women who basically think she's the best thing since sliced bread, and who continue to love her even though she spent the first few months of knitting just wailing for no reason. Each week, she impresses them with new skills - this week it was her devious laughter. She has the best laugh in the world, that kid.

Tim went to see a movie with his bruddar on Wednesday night, leaving Elizabeth and I to our own devices. Of course, we mooched dinner from mom and dad, and I kept her out late so that she'd fall asleep on the drive home. Man, the convertible car seat is good because it feels so big and safe, but I really miss being able to carry her into the house in her bucket seat. I left her in the car when I first got home so I could do a couple of quick chores around the house and change into my pajamas, and then brought her in for her last meal and bed time routine. She went easy on me and fell asleep eating.

At 11 months, young miss still doesn't "put herself to bed," but we're okay with that, as limited bouts of crying it out have resulted in Ellie getting absolutely hysterical and nowhere near sleep. I'm also just grateful that putting her to sleep no longer involves Tim cradling her and letting her suck on his finger for up to two hours, after I'd already let her eat for close to two hours. Now she just sort of crawls around in her bed until she lays down, closes her eyes and sacks out. But she needs to have someone hanging out in there with her, or she'll lose her bananas. I have faith that someday in the next few months she won't need that anymore, just as she doesn't need a finger to suck until she passes out now.

Today we got to hang out and have lunch with Grandma! It's so funny how quickly Ellie is getting for real big - at lunch she sat in a high hair and quietly fed herself blue berries and puffs, and drank from her sippy. She even rode in her stroller through most of our shopping, and was able to admire the beautiful baby clothes at Janie & Jack without demanding an outfit for herself. Unlike me.

Tomorrow is our mommy class, which is one of my favorite parts of the week. And then, yet another first birthday party this weekend! All these babies, growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment