Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Surprise!

We've had a good week so far. Yesterday we went for a walk and then had a quick trip to the mall, so I could look for wild fake eyelashes for my 30th birthday party costume (I later bought several pairs on Amazon. I like to have options. Feathered, multi-colored options.) Then we went and got ourselves a cookie at Tim's work. 3pm cookie time is my favorite time.

Today, swim class. We had a really funny moment as we were sliding into the water. Another mom looked at Elizabeth and I and exclaimed, "oh, she's so big now!" It took me a second to place her and her daughter, but they'd been at mommy matters class during the first month or so that I went, before she had to go back to work. Her daughter is five or six weeks older than Ellie, which doesn't seem like much now, but when Ellie was four weeks old and I thought I might lose my mother-effing mind, her ten week old baby who slept well and wasn't killing her mom with the constant nursing seemed like the sort of experience I'd never possibly have. But yet, here we are, both in the same swim class, with two cute, happy little baby girls approaching their first birthday. It was nice to catch up with her, and funny to think that she was probably pleasantly surprised that Ellie and I are both happy and together and a fully functional team. Motherhood involves a lot of on the job training, but I think I'm holding up okay. I think Ellie will keep me, at the very least.

After swim classes, I've taken to just plopping Ellie in the shower with me while I clean up, rather than giving her a separate bath. She loves it - it gives her a chance to try to stick her fingers in our drain, and after I scrub her, I let her play with her washrag, which is apparently the best toy anyone has ever invented. She'll continue to sit on the floor of the shower and play happily with it long enough for me to get dressed, brush my teeth, put on makeup and fix my hair. If only giving her a wet washrags at other times wouldn't cause a mess!

Then of course, it was over to the salt mines of mom and dad's house, to clean up cat poop (thankfully, all in the box) and check on the pool, all while being pointedly ignored by their stupid cats. Seriously - mom and Sara will probably get mauled to death in their sleep, because despite the fact that I was over for at least an hour every day over the past week, Rocky and Petunia deemed me unworthy of their attention, to which I said "FINE, GO WITHOUT PETTING, LOSERS!"

The fam was set to land around 7pm tonight. I had decided that Tim would drive Dad's car to the airport to give back to them, and I would show up as a surprise with a certain lady known as "Itty Bitty." The big question was: would mom cry at seeing her grandbaby after a whole week apart? The answer is of course: yes. And then Ellie cried at her Gramps, because she is kind of a jerk sometimes. She'll make it up to him later in the week, hopefully.

She is SO close to crawling. Every time I put her on her butt lately, she either immediately flops on to her back and puts up a fuss about it, or leans forward until she gets herself on her hands and knees. Still hasn't figure out how to use those hands, but she seems to be understanding that if she gets into the crawling position, eventually she'll be able to head in the direction she desires. It drives me crazy though that every time I plop her on the bed for a second she dives forward. I spend a lot of time every day saying "please don't throw yourself on the floor," and "if you don't like it, learn to crawl."

"Why does the kitty have all my toys?"

No comments:

Post a Comment